Small Claims Courts
Please contact your nearest Regional Office if you have any enquiries or complaints.
For more information regarding the Small Claims Courts, please approach the Small Claims Court Clerks at your nearest Magistrate’s Office.
All documents are in PDF format
GOVERNMENT GAZETTE NOTICES
- Small Claims Courts Act: Determination of amount for purposes of Section 15 and 16 G 37450 RG 10153 GoN 185, 18 Mar 2014
- 2017: DRAFT Guidelines
for Commissioners (2.08mb)
REQUEST FOR INPUT – ALL COMMISSIONERS, CHIEF MAGISTRATES, MAGISTRATE COMMISSION QUALITY ASSURANCE, DEPARTMENTAL QUALITY ASSURANCE AND REGIONAL HEADS
The Guidelines for the Commissioners of the Small Claims Courts are currently being updated. (The Guidelines were first compiled during 2010). The inputs and comments must please reach Ms Carol Johnson-Newham by Monday, 16 October 2017, at email@example.com.
1. Some commentators have suggested that the forms and annexures should be placed on the DOJCD website to allow for easy access and downloading, instead of having numerous forms as attachments to the Guidelines document. Your views would be appreciated. Once these Guidelines have been finalised, we will however also ensure that the forms are put onto our website, on the SCC page.
2. The draft updated Guidelines at present exclude the State (and municipalities specifically) in its totality regarding small claims, following legal opinions received from the Chief State Law Advisor that we have to abide by.
3. This may be contentious, but we have at present removed the Code of Conduct for Commissioners from the draft Guidelines. This is because the legal standing of the Code of Conduct is dubious as it has not been promulgated under section 25 of the Act and it does not seem to have the force of law. Your views would be appreciated in this regard.
- 2016: Matters that can be taken to the Small Claims Courts (Published in Isolezwe)
- 2010: GUIDELINES FOR LODGING A CLAIM IN THE SMALL CLAIMS COURT (206kb)
- 2008: Institute your own Claim!