- Media Satement: South Africa gears up to host the continent’s first information conference (ICIC) media statement and programme, 30 January 2019
The South African Information Regulator, in partnership with the Centre for Human Rights (University of Pretoria) supported by the secretariat of the International Conference of Information Commissioners (ICIC) will be hosting the 11th International Conference of Information Commissioners from 10 - 13 March 2019, at the Vodacom Commercial Park in Midrand, Johannesburg.
The Conference, to be held under the theme “International cooperation to strengthen public access to information”, will be hosted for the first time in the continent, following the 10th ICIC which was organised in Manchester, England in 2017.
- Media Satement: Draft Joint Statement by the Information Regulator and the Direct Marketing Association of Southern Africa, 16 Aug 2018
The Chairperson and Members of the Information Regulator (Regulator) met with the Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board of the Direct Marketing Association of Southern Africa (DMASA) in Pretoria on 14 August 2018.
- Media Satement: Direct Marketing Association of South Africa (DMASA), 27 Jul 2018
The Information Regulator (Regulator) has requested a meeting with the Chief Executive Officer of the Direct Marketing Association of South Africa (DMASA) Mr David Dickens. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss the concerns that have been raised in the article titled “Direct marketers slam POPI 'opt-in' provisions” written by the business editor of ITWeb Mr Admire Moyo at https://www.itweb.co.za/content/4r1lyMRoO43qpmda on 25th July 2018.
- Alleged Data Breach – Liberty Holdings Ltd Ltd, 18 Jun 2018
The Information Regulator (Regulator) has noted with concern various media reports regarding a material data breach at Liberty Holdings Ltd. According to these various media reports hackers gained unauthorised access to the information technology infrastructure of Liberty Holdings.
- Alleged Data Breach – Aggregated Payment System (Pty) Ltd, 25 May 2018
The Information Regulator (Regulator) has noted various media reports which allege the breach of personal records of nine hundred and thirty four thousand (943,000) South African drivers. The source of the breach is alleged to be the South African traffic fines online payment website called ViewFines.
- Alleged Cambridge Analytical Data Breach - Facebook, 10 April 2018
The Information Regulator (Regulator) has noted various media reports which allege a material data breach by Facebook. The spokesperson of Facebook is reported to have said that the data of 59 777 of South Africans users was potentially shared with the data firm called Cambridge Analytica.
- Alleged unlawful processing of personal information of King Goodwill Zwelithini by MiWay Insurance Company, 12 February 2018
The Information Regulator (Regulator) has noted with concern the recent media reports of alleged unlawful processing of personal information of King Goodwill Zwelithini by MiWay.
- Press briefing by the Information Regulator, 20 September 2017
The purpose of this briefing is to provide an update on the progress made on the establishment of the Information Regulator (Regulator), the work carried out by the Regulator thus far and the publication of the draft Regulations as prescribed by Section 112(2) of the Protection of Information Act 4 of 2013 (POPIA).
- Information Regulator to brief members of the media on the work of the office of thus far on 20 Sep 2017 [18 Sep 2017]
- The Information Regulator welcomes the decision of the Constitutional Court in the case of Black Sash Trust v Minister of Social Development and Others. [17 Mar 2017]
- Minister Masutha meets with the Information Regulator to ensure effective implementation of the Protection of Personal Information Act (PPI ACT) [11 Jan 2017]
- The Information Regulator (SA) holds its Inaugural Meeting [02 Dec 2016]